We have curated and created some fun additions to bring some beauty to National Rose Month!
June has long been considered an ideal month for roses – growing, viewing, and not to mention – WEDDINGS – another event in season this month!
Roses come in more than 150 species across the Northern Hemisphere and even more around the globe. Because their beauty and fragrance speak to lovers, the rose has long been the symbol of poets and artists.
Food & Drink Ideas
Did you know that roses grace all kinds of recipes?
- Salads with rose – Fresh rose petals make a great addition to fruit salads and mixed greens salads. Create a salad filled with other herbs and flowers from your garden for a refreshing summer lunch.
- Rose butter – Chop up fragrant rose petals and mix them into softened butter. Pack the butter into a ramekin and chill until it’s ready to serve. You can also add finely ground sugar or almond extract for extra sweetness. This delicate butter is perfect served on biscuits, crackers or fruity muffins.
- Rose sugar – Chop up one-half cup of rose petals and mix them with two cups of sugar. Pour the sugar into a covered tin and store it in a cool, dark location for about one week. Sift the sugar through a sieve into a clean glass jar to remove the petals. A few of them can remain. This floral sugar is perfect for tea or to sprinkle on top of sugar cookies.
- Candied flower petals – Candied flower petals are perfect as an edible garnish for cakes and desserts or simply a sugary after-dinner treat. This recipe can be made with roses or any other edible flower. Paint each petal or flower with gently beaten egg whites, then dip it in granulated sugar. Lay the petals on wax paper to dry until hardened.
- Rose tea – Dried rose petals or rose hips can be steeped in hot water to make delicate rose tea.
- Rose-infused beverages – Rose petals can add a subtle floral taste to lemonades, juices and iced tea. Simply muddle fresh rose petals to release the flavor, and stir them into a cool, fruity beverage. Rose petals can also be frozen into ice cubes for a beautiful and delicious punch.
- When I think of roses…
- The sweet scent of roses reminds me of ….
- The most beautiful roses I ever saw were …..
- I’d plant (what color of roses) if I had a rose garden……
- I would like to give a rose to ………
- Do you think roses are difficult to grow?
- Why tips do you have for growing roses?
- How many people do you know named Rose?
- If you could name a rose after someone, who would it be?
- Have you ever given roses to anyone? What was the occasion?
Things you can do
- Plant a rose bush in your community.
- Let a resident donate a bush to someone.
- Hold a raffle for a rose bush to be donated in someone’s name.
- Have a rose arrangement floral class.
It wouldn’t be a party without the MUSIC
Here is our YouTube playlist of rose music!
- Days of Wine and Roses
- Roses are Red My Love
- Primrose Lane
- Everything’s Coming up Roses
- The Yellow Rose of Texas
- Paper Roses
- Rose of Washington Square
- Secondhand Rose
- Mexicali Rose
- The Rose of Tralee
- Red Roses for Blue Lady
- Desert Rose
- A Rose is a Rose
- My Wild Irish Rose
- Ramblin’ Rose
- Sally Go Round the Roses
- Sweet Rosie O’Grady
- I Never Promised you a Rose Garden
- When She Wore a Tulip and I wore a Red, Red Rose
Rose Garden Tours & Videos
Here is our list with some incredible rose garden tours!
Flower-filled Movies to Watch
- The Secret Garden (2020) PG | 1h 39min | Drama, Family, Fantasy
- Alice in Wonderland (1951) G | 1h 15min | Animation, Adventure, Family
- Tulip Fever (2017) R | 1h 45min | Drama, History, Romance
- Big Fish (2003) PG-13 | 2h 5min | Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
- Beauty and the Beast (2017) PG | 2h 9min | Family, Fantasy, Musical
- A Little Chaos (2014) R | 1h 52min | Drama, Romance
- Broken Flowers (2005) R | 1h 46min | Comedy, Drama, Mystery
- Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) PG-13 | 2h 25min | Drama, Romance