Scroll down to the bottom of the page for our printable products!
A perfect day for that perfect summer fruit!
National Watermelon Day on August 3rd recognizes the refreshing summertime treat enjoyed at picnics and fairs! And since watermelon is 92% water, it is very satisfying in the summer heat. Here are some fun extras for your watermelon day!
WATERMELON FOOD & DRINK IDEAS
WATERMELON SALAD WITH FETA AND CUCUMBER
INGREDIENTS – makes 4 servings
- 3 cups watermelon cubed or balled
- 1 1/2 cups sliced cucumber seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons mint thinly sliced or small mint leaves
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the watermelon, cucumber and mint in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the melon mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with feta and serve.
Frozen Watermelon Lemonade
Makes 6-8 servings
- 3 cups watermelon cubes, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 2 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry-flavored, calorie-free carbonated water, chilled
- Place watermelon cubes and raspberries in a blender; process until smooth. Pour through a sieve; discard pulp.
- Combine the sugar and water in the small saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, just until the sugar dissolves. Set aside, allow to cool slightly.
- Stir the sugar-water and lemon juice onto the watermelon raspberry juice mixture. Pour the juice mixture into a covered freezer container. Freeze until firm.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon the mixture into tall glasses. Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons of the strawberry-flavored water over the frozen juice in each glass. Serve immediately.