Scroll to the bottom of the page for our printable offerings!
We have curated some fun inspiration for your journey through the vacation hotspot of Puerto Rico!
Puerto Rico’s attractions range from the adventurous (like the jungles of El Yunque) to the historic (like the 500-year old walls of the El Morro Fort). And there are plenty of options between the two extremes. Old San Juan boasts lots of shopping. Beach lovers must visit the western shorelines of Crash Boat for sunbathing and surfing; night owls and aquatic lovers are bound to enjoy Vieques’ bioluminescent Mosquito Bay. If you aren’t sure where to start, we have what you need to plan your virtual vacation!
A Puerto Rican theme is definitely a must-try choice for an end-of-summer celebration! Think vibrant colors spicing up your party area, ice-cold piña coladas (both with or without the rum), flavorful appetizers and finger foods, sweet traditional desserts, and guitar music strumming in the background. Now to capture the fun and fiery rhythms of Puerto Rico with an American flair with these additional ideas:
- AMBIANCE – Hire a salsa dancer to give a lesson to residents
- DECOR – Use bold, contrasting colors—like our choice of aqua and brown—in your table linens, centerpiece elements, napkin accents, and the like.
- CENTERPIECES & TABLES – Create simple centerpieces using fedoras or straw hats trimmed with tropical leaves, and DIY napkin accents made with brightly colored paper flowers. If possible, use hand-painted earthenware plates (or make them as a craft out of paper plates and markers or watercolors), palm leaf runners and placemats, and cuttings of summer flowers and foliage for a breezy Latin vibe. For party glassware, set out tumblers and goblets in colored or tinted plastic or glass to complement your chosen palette.
- BUFFET – Mount your menu cards or table numbers on our vintage-style Puerto Rican postcards.
- PHOTO OPS – We know you have to be sure to take plenty of pictures during the fiesta. Start off by placing Puerto Rican backdrops throughout your community so that residents and family members can take their own pictures in front of the the local scenery. Some garden centers will donate plants such as ferns and miniature palms for use as long as they are returned!
- Looking for more to do? Try getting your community to have a salsa dancing night, limbo contest, play beach ball volleyball, or have an old-fashioned water balloon or water squirter fight!
And then, there’s food and drinks!
- Shrimp and rice dishes are a great foundation piece
- Trays loaded up with fresh tropical fruit and vegetables will keep guests full and give healthy choices.
- Desserts are a MUST for this party! Here’s some ideas:
Puerto Rican Coconut Dessert (1 – recipe from Very Best Baking) is a chilled coconut pudding served with cinnamon sprinkled on top just before slicing.
Another staple in all Latin bakeries are rolled cakes. Here, Brazo Gitano or Guava Jelly Roll (2 – recipe from Goya) is a delicate sponge cake rolled up into a “gypsy’s arm” (hence the name!) with a guava fruit jam filling.
Cinnamon rice pudding is an easy dessert that brings in the creamy sweetness in most desserts.
- Pina Coladas are great with or without the rum!
Passport and Stamp
Puerto Rican Güiro Craft: Celebrating Latino Culture This Hispanic Heritage Month & Always!
You can make these beautiful paper hibiscus flowers and use them as decorations!
So would these cut paper and crayon-colored parrots!
The classic God’s eye is a time-honored craft that many adults remember making as a child. About every Sunday school teacher and camp counselor had them in their curriculum or schedule. It’s a great craft, perfect for any time of year, more so during National Hispanic Heritage Month. This craft originates from the Ojo de Dios (Eye of God) cultural symbol made by the Huichol Indians of Mexico.
Virtual Tours & YouTube Links
- We have pulled together a great list of tourist, history, and bomba dancing!
Best Movies & TV Shows Filmed in Puerto Rico
- Fantasy Island (Fox) | TV reboot of the 70s series
- Our Flag Means Death (HBO Max) | TV-MA | Pirate comedy
- The Resort (Peacock) | Comedy thriller
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Season 2, Episode 07 Puerto Rico | TV-MA
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | 2022 | PG-13 | Action, Adventure, Drama, Marvel movies
- Golden Eye | 1995 | PG-13 | Adventure, Action , Thriller
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides | 2011 | PG-13 | Adventure, Action, Fantasy
- Bad Boys II | 2003 | R | Comedy, Action, Crime
- The Rum Diary | 2011 | R | Comedy, Drama
- Fast Five | 2011 | PG-13 | Action, Crime, Thriller
- Contact | 1997 | PG | Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
- Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights | 2004 | PG-13 | Romance, Drama, Dance
- 22 Jump Street | 2004 | R | Action, Comedy, Crime
- Captain America: Civil War | 2016 | PG-13 | Action, Adventure, Drama, Marvel movies
- La Gran Fiesta (The Big Party) | 1985 | PG-13 | Drama, Romance
- Antes que cante el gallo | 2016 | Drama, romanticized Puerto Rico
- Lo que le pasó a Santiago | 1989 | R | Comedy, Drama, Romance