Looking for our printable activities? Scroll down to the bottom of the page!
We have curated some fun additions for your residents to appreciate the ocean in all of her glory!
Want to make your residents feel like they have been to the beach? Be sure to get all your residents some neon colored sunglasses to wear while they do these fun activities. Beach themes are easy to incorporate other ideas as well. Have a Shag theme party, Hawaiian luau, or beach picnic. The possibilities are so much fun.
Some of the easiest and most fun ways to decorate for an Under the Sea party would be to include anything seashell-related, variations of blue streamers, puff fish, and balloons in blue various hues, remember to include octopus.
Here’s a great youtube video on how to make some really cool octopus balloons or you can use them as craft ideas as well. Octopus Balloon Decorations Tutorial! We think your residents would have so much fun creating these! Here is also a starfish balloon tutorial.
Inside Activities for Rainy Days
- Beach ball volleyball inside or outside
- Go Fish Card game
- Do a version of limbo that your residents can participate in.
- Do a treasure hunt themed scavenger hunt
- Wooden Ruler Beach Plaque
- Mosaic Turtle Using Fabric and Canvas
- Textured Beach Wine Bottles
- Weathered Paint Stick Beach Flag
- Paper Plate Sand Dollars
- Blindfold each participant and hide some seashells, coins, marbles, or other ocean-related items in some sand and see if your residents can guess what it is before you reveal it.
- Get a few ocean-inspired candles and pass them around – see which one really reminds residents of the ocean.
- Make “Shark Bait”
- Take a dollar store shovel and fill it with candies, tie a clear wrapper around it and add a bow.
- Use a kiddie pool and fill it with ice to cool down waters or sodas.
- Grill some pineapple, shrimp and chicken skewers
- Serve Blue Kool-aid, goldfish crackers & Mac & Cheese “shells”
- Make non-alcoholic versions of tropical drinks. Here’s one to get you started:
Conversation Starters for your 1-on-1s
- Have you been in or on the ocean? What is your strongest memory of it?
- Tell me about the most fascinating thing you ever were told about the ocean.
- Have you ever been scuba diving or snorkeling? What underwater creatures did you see?
25 Best Beach Reads
See how many of these great summer books your group can finish by Labor Day.
Ted Talks and YouTube Video Recommendations:
- Saving the Ocean One Island at a Time
- Underwater Wonders | Dave Gallo Ted Talk
- Sylvia Earle: How to protect the oceans (TED Prize winner!)
- Our full list of Ocean Videos – some are just relaxing background ones, some are educational and very interesting!
Movies & TV Shows to Watch
Here are some great Movies, but check back to our Cruise Activity for even more great Movies!
- My Octopus Teacher, 2020 | TV-G | Documentary
- Blue Planet II, 2017 | TV-G | Documentary Mini-Series
- In the Heart of the Sea, 2015 | Drama
- The Shallows, 2016 | PG-13 | Horror, Thriller
- The Big Blue, 1988 | PG | Action, Adventure
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 1954 | G | Action, Family
- Finding Nemo, 2003 | G | Animated, Family
- Aquaman, 2018 | PG-13 | Action, Fantasy, Marvel
- Finding Dory, 2016 | G | Animated, Family
For Just great Ocean and Sea Music
- Come Sail Away – Styx
- Beyond the Sea – Bobby Darin
- Sail on Sailor – The Beach Boys
- Ocean Eyes – Billie Eilish
- Orinico Flow (Sail Away) – Enya
- Under the Sea – “The Little Mermaid”
- Cake By the Ocean – DNCE
- Wipeout – The Surfaris
- Octopuses Garden – The Beatles
- Only the Ocean – Jack Johnson
- How Deep is the Ocean – Diana Krall
- Yellow Submarine – The Beatles
- Mermaid in the Night – Jimmy Buffet
- The Mariner’s Revenge – The Decemberists
- The Ocean – Led Zeppelin
- Sea of Love | The Honeydrippers
- Don’t Fight the Sea – Featuring the Beach Boys