Scroll to the bottom of the page for our printable offerings
We have curated some fun additions for your World Jazz Day!
While the world has gone relatively quiet amid the coronavirus pandemic, International Jazz Day plans on bringing some joyful sounds from across the globe together in celebration of the music. Jazz Day, which falls on April 30 of each year, was initially established in 2011 by musician and UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador Herbie Hancock to bring together communities worldwide to celebrate the humanity of the universal art form through workshops, discussions and events all over the world.
You can also rewatch the All-Star Global concert from 2021.
Today is ALL about the MUSIC – and here is the only REAL way to take part:
- The marquee Global Concert, which begins at 3:00 p.m. ET on jazzday.com, will feature streamed performances from bassist Marcus Miller (U.S.), pianist Lang Lang (China), saxophonist Igor Butman (Russia), vocalist Youn Sun Nah (South Korea), and bassist Alune Wade (Senegal), among other worldwide leaders in the genre.
- Listen to Jazz! Here is a link of Jazz through the Decades
- Learn more about the history of Jazz with our Printable Activity Booklet! We have created a timeline from the 1600s-1970s!
Conversation Starters for your 1-on-1s
These are great for conversations, or writing prompts! (You can even send written answers into the Resident Tales and have your residents see their writing in print!)
- Did you grow up with records, tapes, CDs, 8 track players? Which did your first car have?
- What song always puts you in a good mood?
- Who was the first musician you were really into? Do you still like them?
- How important is music in your life?
- Do you catch yourself humming/whistling tunes while you are going about your day? What tune is it?
- How much time do you spend listening to music?
Big Band YouTube Links
- Andrews Sisters Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
- Fletcher Henderson and His Orchestra – The Best of “Smack” Henderson
- “SING, SING, SING” BY BENNY GOODMAN
- “Lazy River” – Louis Armstrong
- Glenn Miller – In The Mood [HQ]
- 1940 HITS ARCHIVE: Pompton Turnpike – Charlie Barnet
- Radio Days Soundtrack (This would be a great one to play Name that Tune with)
Movies & TV Shows to Watch
- Round Midnight (1986)
- Young Man with a Horn (1950)
- Chico & Rita (2010)
- Jazz on a Summer’s Day (2020)
- Keep On Keepin’ On (2014)
- Bird (1988)
- Born to Be Blue (2015)
- The Cotton Club (1984)
- The Connection (1961)
- A Great Day In Harlem (1995)
- Lady Sings the Blues (1972)
- ‘Round Midnight (1986)
- Whiplash (2014)
- LaLa Land (2016)
Top Jazz Songs for Your Playlist
- NPR’s Top 100 Jazz Songs Playlist (Spotify)
- Spotify Guardian Ultimate Jazz Playlist
- Miles Davis – ‘So What‘
- Frank Sinatra – ‘Fly Me To The Moon‘
- Duke Ellington & His Famous Orchestra – ‘Mood Indigo‘
- Dave Brubeck Quartet – ‘Take Five‘
- Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto – ‘The Girl From Ipanema‘
- Cab Calloway – ‘Minnie The Moocher‘
- Louis Armstrong – ‘What A Wonderful World‘
- Billie Holiday – ‘Strange Fruit‘
- Ray Charles – ‘Georgia On My Mind‘
- Nina Simone – ‘My Baby Just Cares For Me‘
- Thelonious Monk – ‘Round Midnight‘
- Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong – ‘Summertime‘
- John Coltrane – ‘Giant Steps‘
- Norah Jones – ‘The Nearness Of You‘
- John Coltrane – ‘My Favorite Things‘
- Duke Ellington – ‘Take the A Train’
- Benny Goodman – ‘Sing, Sing, Sing’
- Billie Holiday – ‘God Bless the Child’