Looking for our printable activities? Scroll down to the bottom of the page!
We have curated some fun additions for your residents to appreciate the literary adventures of Alice in Wonderland!
Want to make your residents feel like they have fallen down the rabbit hole? We have lots of ways to achieve this! The possibilities are so much fun.
This party or day is all about being bizarre and interesting! There are different ways to decorate or choose a theme. You can take inspiration from the original Lewis Carroll book, which has some wonderful illustrations by John Tenniel, the classic Walt Disney cartoon, which uses lots of bright colors, or the recent Tim Burton film, which has a more fantastical and surreal style with slightly more muted pastel tones.
Whichever you choose, there are lots of Alice in Wonderland party ideas and decorations to compliment your theme. Any of the crafts below can be used as table decorations! Also, layering mismatched things from the books — mirrors, teacups, bottles, flowers, cards, chess pieces! And the more colors the better!
A combination of the Tim Burton film and the original book illustrations work really well. People love the magical Tim Burton styling, but a few references to the original book will stop your tea party from looking too commercial or only about the film. And you really want to encourage folks to read the book as an activity!
Inside Activities for Rainy Days
- Read Alice in Wonderland – you can read it aloud, or recreate it as a group and assign residents to do a dramatic reading as specific characters!
- Play croquet indoors! There are several options for indoor croquet sets online!
- These toilet paper roll teacups would hold small candies or treats
- Card soldiers like these would make cute table decorations
- Do you have advanced crafters? These DIY heart rings would warm the Queen of Hearts’ demeanor!
- We have created our own White Rabbit Pocket Watch craft to print and do!
Food & Drink Ideas
The most famous scene in the book and film is of course the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party—so take this as inspiration when designing the food and drink to go with these Alice in Wonderland party ideas.
Have a tea party, but make it MAD! Drink iced tea in traditional tea cups.
Instead of regular black tea, fruit-flavored ice teas like Snapple, which make flavors such as raspberry or peach tea can be refreshing during the summer. Just bear in mind, that most of these contain caffeine, although they do make a pomegranate raspberry red tea, which is caffeine-free. Alternatively, you can serve things like pink lemonade or other drinks but serve them in little teacups with saucers so that it feels like a tea party, but the flavor in the cup is unexpected.
Another option is to serve some of the drinks at your Alice in Wonderland party in little glass potion bottles with ‘Drink Me’ labels on: Pick up a pack of 12 assorted glass craft bottles, and then fill them using this recipe for Blue Bubblegum Soda. The blue color is perfect to look like a potion and bubblegum soda is suitably surreal to fit in with the Wonderland theme.
Finally, write ‘Drink Me’ onto a decorative shipping tag and hang it around the neck of the bottle – this can be a craft or you can do a calligraphy class and have residents make them!
Another drink to make – FLAMINGO PUNCH! Serve pink drinks, such as this recipe for Pink Lemonade (below left, from Vegetarian Living). Add pink flamingo straws and call it Pink Flamingo Punch in reference to the croquet game in Alice in Wonderland.
For food to go with these Alice in Wonderland party ideas, think ‘English Afternoon Tea‘—ladies, in particular, will love this as everything is so delicate and lady-like.
Traditionally, afternoon tea is brewed in teapots and served in teacups on saucers—with the option of milk and sugar in from a separate jug and bowls. It’s served with dainty tea sandwiches cut into small bite-sized triangles and rectangles with the crusts cut off. Customary fillings are cucumberand cream cheese, egg salad and watercress, or smoked salmon and cream cheese. In the South? Pimento cheese is always good!
These are accompanied by a selection of tiny cakes or little scones with Devonshire (clotted) cream and jam, then everything is presented on a tiered cake stand.
You could also create a checkerboard effect with brown or pumpernickel and white bread sandwiches cut into squares to represent the famous game of chess. For inspiration, have a look at this image from Dorothy Lane on this site. There’s even an instructional video!
YouTube Video Recommendations:
Here is our full video playlist complete with behind-the-scenes footage from the Tim Burton movies!
- The Full Audiobook of Alice
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Mad Hatter’s Tea Party (The Royal Ballet)
- Queen of Hearts in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (ballet)
- Here is the full musical, Wonderland!
Movies & TV Shows to Watch
- Come Away is a 2020 fantasy drama film directed by Brenda Chapman (In her Live Action Directional Debut) and starring David Oyelowo, Anna Chancellor, Angelina Jolie, Michael Caine, Clarke Peters, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, David Gyasi, and Derek Jacobi. The film is a homage to the stories of Peter Pan and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
- Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland | 2010 | PG
- Tim Burton’s Alice Through the Looking Glass | 2016 | PG
- Disney’s animated Alice in Wonderland |1951 | G
Alice in Wonderland Inspired Music
Here is our full playlist on YouTube
- I am the Walrus – The Beatles
- Don’t Come Around Here No More – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds – The Beatles
- White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane
- The Wonderland Musical Soundtrack