Scroll to the bottom of the page for our printable offerings
National Get Funky Day!
Webster defines Funky as offbeat, unconventional or eccentric. So today, we celebrate our funky side with all sorts of fun offbeat things.
Encourage your residents to dress up in funky crazy clothes, miss-match socks, crazy hair, or whatever they think is funky. Tell them to let loose and just have fun!
Funky Music is anything that makes you move. When you hear music that makes your head move and your body pop and your face turn into a grin, that’s the Funk! Get your community up and move to some of these fun tunes. There’s no right or wrong to their movements. Remember it’s just about getting Funky
Get Funky and Play with your Food!
Food.com has offered up some weird and wacky regional recipes! Try some out. Take pictures of your residents tasting these unusual combinations, let us know how you like them!
Turn the everyday into something funky.
- Mini golf course with Lego obstacles, or tunnels made of pringle cans.
- Bowling – use painted drink bottles
- Make our cosmic suncatcher
Have fun with Conversation Games:
Tell a funky story. Have each resident contribute one line to a story. Start off with Once upon a time… each resident adds a line. At the end, put all the lines together and tell the story to them all.
Each person can only speak in questions, when a person doesn’t they are “out,” and the other person wins. Start off with Why are we here?
Minute to win it games
- Cookie Monster – Each player places a cookie on her forehead, and the goal is to get the cookie into her mouth using only facial muscles in under one minute. No hands. This is tougher than it looks!
- Wanna Spoon? Using nothing but a spoon in your mouth, transfer as many ping pong balls as you can from one bowl to another. No hands! Hands are only allowed if you drop the ping pong ball, and then they can be used to place the ball back into the original bowl for another transfer attempt.
- State of Affairs – Have contestants name as many state capitals in 60 seconds as they can. You can do this competition with oral or written answers.
- Name Dropper – Contestants have to name as many celebrities as they can in 60 seconds. Make it tougher by including specific categories (women rock stars, talk show hosts or athletes)
- Woody and Dutch on the Slow Train to Peking by Rickie Lee Jones
- Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker) by George Clinton/Parliament Funkadelic
- I Like Your Style by Tower of Power
- Jungle Boogie by Kool and the Gang
- Pick up the Pieces by Average White Band
- Superfly by Curtis Mayfield
- Uptown Funk, Mark Ronson
- All Aboard the Soul Funky Train, The J.B.’s
- Funky Town, Lipps, Inc.
- Too Funky, George Michael
- Play that Funky Music, Wild Cherry
- Boogie Shoes, KC & the Sunshine band
- Soul Man, Sam & Dave
- Super Freak, Rick James
- You Should Be Dancing, Bee Gees
Do those fun funky dances too!
Just want to watch… Here are some great YouTube videos!
- Old Movie Stars Dance to Uptown Funk
- The Evolution of Dance – 1950-2019
- Lyrics to Funkytown (This would be great to dance and exercise to!)
Funny, Wacky, Funky Movies!
- Meet the Parents (2000) PG-13, Comedy, Romance
- Local Hero (1983) PG Comedy, Drama
- The Philadelphia Story (1940) NR, Comedy, Romance
- The Return of the Pink Panther (1975) G, Comedy, Crime, Mystery
- Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) PG-13, Comedy
- Kingpin (1996) PG-13, Comedy, Sport
- Best in Show (2000) PG-13, Comedy
- Pee Wee’s Big Adventure (1985) PG – Comedy
- Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) NR – Comedy, Crime, Thriller
- Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) PG-13, Comedy, Drama, Family
- Airplane (1980) PG, Comedy