We have curated some fun additions for your week of celebrating Friendships!
As your residents age, forging new friendships may require a little extra effort. Help them along with some of these activities. Friends can strengthen our immune system, help us recover more quickly from illness, sharpen our memory, and even help us live longer. Here are some things you can do to help plan your Friendship Day or Week!
Games & Activities that need little to nothing!
- Have a scavenger hunt: Have residents use the New Friend Scavenger Hunt sheet to help them make some new friends.
- Paint a kindness rock. Have residents paint one of the quotes from the activity booklet or one of their own onto a rock. They can put their name on the back then hide them to be found by someone else, or trade them with someone they want to meet.
- Pass out the questions in the following section. Have each resident trade answers and make sure to put their name on them – then they will find out what they have in common, or something new about someone they already know!
Conversation Starters Game or Questions for your 1-on-1s
Write one of the following questions on a piece of paper. Pass them out randomly to residents. Then return answers to a different resident to learn about a new friend. OR – these are great for conversations, or writing prompts! (You can even send written answers into the Resident Tales and have your residents see their writing in print!)
- What’s the first thing you do in the morning, and how does it impact the rest of your day?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world (all expenses paid), where would you go?
- What’s your earliest memory?
- Have you ever had a “life-changing” moment? If so, what was it?
- What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made?
- How have your values changed over time?
- What’s the weirdest thing you believed as a kid?
- What’s your proudest moment?
- Have you ever given up on a dream? What was it?
- What’s the best advice a family member gave you growing up? What was the worst advice?
Fun Movies to Watch about Friendships
So many good movies about friendships!
- Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (2002)
- Beaches (1988)
- Steel Magnolias (2019)
- Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion (1997)
- The Intouchables (2011)
- The Help (2011)
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)
- Thelma and Louise (1991)
- Bend it Like Beckham (2002)
- Miss You Already (2015)
- Now and Then (1995)
- Hidden Figures (2016)
- The Odd Couple (1968)
- Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)
- Brian’s Song (1971)
- The Bucket List (2007)
- The Secret Garden (1993)
Friendly Music for Your Playlist
- “That’s What Friends Are For” by Dionne Warwick
- “True Friend” by Miley Cyrus
- “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” by Randy Newman
- “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks
- “Thank You for Being a Friend” by Andrew Gold
- “True Colors” by Cyndi Lauper
- “Best Friend” by Jason Mraz
- “You’re My Best Friend” by Queen
- “I’ll Be There for You” by The Rembrandts
- “With a Little Help From My Friends” by The Beatles
- “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler
- “You’ve Got a Friend” by Carole King
- “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars
- “Lean on Me” by Bill Withers
- “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls
- “Good Friend and a Glass of Wine” by LeAnn Rimes
- “Help!” by The Beatles
- “Count on Me” by Whitney Houston and CeCe Winans
Jane Fonda & Lily Tomlin talk about their friendship that has lasted for decades. https://www.ted.com/talks/jane_fonda_and_lily_tomlin_a_hilarious_celebration_of_lifelong_female_friendship