Fall is in the air!
Fall or Autumn, that season after the heat of summer and before the coldness of winter. The time when we pull out our sweaters, make a pot of chili and sit with a light blanket over our legs.
Fall is about the snacks!
There are so many fun snack ideas for fall, we’ve added just a few in case you are short on time.
Apple Pie in a cup
- Graham cracker
- Spoons full of warm apple pie filling
- Whipped cream
Put the cracker in a ziplock baggie and let the resident crush them. Pour most into the bottom of a cup, top with filling, whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon and remaining graham crackers.
Chex Mix variations for Fall:
- add some praline pecans
- Tint white chocolate orange and dip pretzels twists in it to make little pumpkins
- Use cheese balls (for pumpkins)
- Add red, yellow, orange m&ms
- Add bugles (cornucopias) to the mix
Here’s a Candy Corn Poke Cake to try
Need a Healthy Snack idea?
Layer pineapple chunks, mandrin oranges and whipped topping in a clear wine glass, top with a candy corn – so cute, so healthy!
We also listed some healthy toppings for sliced apples in our Johnny Appleseed Activities, but here they are again: cream cheese, peanut butter, almond butter, nutella, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, raisins, craisins, mini marshmallows, shredded coconut, crumbled pretzels, or even crumbled oreos. All will be enjoying this snack treat!
Pumpkin Fluff Dip
- 1 can of pumpkin
- 1 pkg. (3.4 oz) Jello vanilla flavor instant pudding
- 1 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tub (8oz) cool whip whipped topping
Just mix all together (folding cool whip in) and refrigerate 1 hour
This is so cute served in a hollowed-out small pumpkin. Or serve with cinnamon-graham crackers or gingersnap cookies. This recipe makes 32 servings (2 Tbsp. )
Punch up the Apple Cider too
- 1 (½ gallon) bottle apple cider
- 2 cups orange juice
- 20 whole cloves
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 1 large apple (red delicious, Fuji, or Macintosh)
Place cider, orange juice, cloves, and cinnamon sticks in a large saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and let it stand for 30 minutes. Strain cider (reserving cinnamon sticks); chill for 1 hour.
Cut across the apple, forming round 1/4-inch-thick slices. Serve cider over ice with apple slices and cinnamon sticks for garnish.
Fall Crafts are always a hit!
Our Crafts-in-a-bag will be so much fun and so cute!
Here’s a cute a Popsicle Stick Scarecrow
This Beaded Pipe Cleaner Indian Corn craft is a good one. Once all the residents have created a few of these they can be strung together for an adorable garland to use. There is even a video how-to!
Here are a few good Movie suggestions to get your residents ready for the fall season. Take advantage of these nostalgic classic flicks that just feel like fall.
Romantic love stories
- When Harry Met Sally (1989) R
- You’ve Got Mail (1998) PG
- Love Story (1970) PG
- Sweet November (2001) PG-13
- Little Women (2019) PG
- Hoosiers (1986) PG
- Remember the Titans (2000) PG
- Rudy (1993) PG
- Friday Night Lights (2006) TV or (2004)movie PG-13
- The Blind Side (2009) PG-13
Cartoon & Disney & Halloween classics
- It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) NR
- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973) TV-G
- Dan in Real Life (2007) PG-13
- Good Will Hunting (1997) R
- October Sky (1999) PG
- Dead Poets Society (1989) PG
- Soul Food (1997) R
- Scent of a Woman (1992) R
Fall Music Playlist
- Wake Me up When September Ends, Green Day
- Autumn Leaves, Ed Sheeran
- September Song, Frank Sinatra
- Rivers, The Tallest Man on Earth
- Autumn Leaves, Nat King Cole
- Cry Me a River, Julie London
- I’ll Be Seeing You, Billie Holiday
- Lullaby of Birdland, Mel Torme
- Don’t Know Why, Norah Jones
- Bewitched, Bothered, And Bewildered, Ella Fitzgerald
- Moonlight Serenade, Glenn Miller
- Stormy Weather, Etta James
- Why Do Leaves Change Color in Fall? (this is animated, but very fun to watch, at least I enjoyed it!)
- ENCHANTING AUTUMN in 4K UHD – 1 Hour of Amazing Fall Nature Scenes + Spa Music by Nature Relaxation
- Autumn Forest & Relaxing Piano Music – Beautiful Fall Leaf Colors
- Relaxing Celtic Music – Autumn Forest (picture doesn’t change)
- A short film showing the beauty of Autumn
- A Slice of Colorado’s Autumn