We have curated some awesome additions for your Christmas fun!
Here are some things you can do to help plan Christmas in July!
Games & Activities that need little to nothing!
We’ve put together a few games you can play with your residents at your Christmas party:
- Finish the Phrase
- Name the Christmas Movie
- The Christmas Carol Game
Are your residents going out to look at lights this year? If so, here’s a printable Scavenger Hunt you can take along. Have residents take pictures with their cell phones, encourage them to take selfies, pit the men again the women. All will have a great time!
- Make Peppermint S’mores! Recipe is here!
- Watermelon Christmas Trees are in season in the South!
- Make some Reindeer Chow
- 14 cups Chex cereal
- 18 oz holiday m&ms
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar or chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Melt the peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe dish. Microwave in 30 second intervals until butter is melted. Add the chocolate a little at a time until all is melted into the mix. You might need to microwave one last time to make sure everything is melted and add the vanilla. Stir together.
- In a large bowl add half of the cereal. Drizzle half of the chocolate peanut butter mixture into the cereal in the bowl. Mix with a spoon.
- Place one large paper bag into another one. Add 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar and half of the mixed cereal into the bag. Close this tightly and shake vigorously. Add more powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time if needed until all the cereal is coated. Add 1/4 of the m&ms into the bag and toss. Place in an air tight container.
- Continue these step with the remaining ingredients. Keep stored in an airtight container. I personally love to keep it in the freezer, YUM!
Extra Fun We Have Found
Need a craft for someone who has dexterity problems? Simply take paper plates and paint them green. Embellish with pom-poms, glitter, stars, or whatever you may have in your craft box. Your residents will love it.
These ornaments smell as good as they look. Tie bright ribbons in various lengths to a cinnamon stick so that they form the shape of a tree. Add a bow to the top.
Dress up windows with some stained glass artwork. Click here for instructions.
How simple would these cute little blue ornaments be with your resident’s thumbprint?
One more use for those toilet paper rolls. Turn them into gingerbread men/women. You can add hair, jewelry and give each one their own personality. String them together for a cute garland too.
Conversation Starters Game or Questions for your 1-on-1s
- What is your favorite Holiday memory?
- Should you be on the nice or naughty list this year?
- If money was no object what gift would you buy and who would you buy for?
- What Christmas movie would you watch over and over again?
- Is there anything you always wanted as a child but never received?
- What tradition do you look forward to every year?
- If your great-great-grandchildren could listen to these years from now: is there any wisdom you’d want to pass on to them? What would you want them to know?
- What is your favorite Christmas dish?
- What was the hardest laugh you’ve had this year?
- If you could give one present to the whole world, what would it be and why?
- If you could only celebrate Christmas with one person, who would it be and why?
- What is your favorite Christmas song? Why?
- Would you prefer a white Christmas or a Christmas at a warm-weather resort? Why?
- What’s your favorite relaxation activity?
- Do you wish there were more or fewer holidays? Why?
- Do you think Christmas is over-commercialized?
- If you could call up anyone in the world and have a conversation with them, who would it be and what would you talk about?
Fun Christmas Movies to Watch
Our list of the best of the best Christmas Movies EVER! Here’s the Hallmark Channel Countdown to Christmas list.
- A Christmas Story, (1983), PG, Comedy, Family
- Elf, (2003), PG, Adventure, Comedy, Family
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas,( 2000), PG, Comedy, Family, Fantasy
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989), PG-13, Comedy
- The Christmas Chronicles (2018), PG, Adventure, Comedy, Family
- Christmas with the Kranks (2004), PG, Comedy, Family
- Last Christmas (2019), PG-13, Comedy, Drama, Romance
- Klaus (2019), PG, Animation, Adventure, Comedy
- The Santa Clause (1994), PG, Comedy, Drama, Family
- Home Alone (1990), PG, Comedy, Family
- Disney’s A Christmas Carol (2009), PG, Animation, Drama, Family
- It’s a Wonderful Life, (1946), PG, Drama, Family, Fantasy
- A Christmas Prince (2017), TV-PG, Comedy, Family, Romance
- Almost Christmas (2016), PG-13, Comedy, Drama
- Last Christmas (1999), TV, Drama Fantasy
- Prancer (1989), G, Drama, Family, Fantasy
- A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965), G, Animation, Comedy, Family
- Holidate (2020), TV-MA, Comedy, Romance
- Santa Claus: The Movie (1985), PG, Adventure, Family, Fantasy
- Holiday Affair (1949), Comedy, Drama, Romance
- The Polar Express (2004), G, Animation, Adventure, Comedy
- The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017) PG Biography, Comedy, Drama
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947) (1994) PG, Family Fantasy
- Four Christmases (2008), PG-13, Comedy, Drama, Romance
- White Christmas (1054), NR, Comedy, Musical, Romance
- Perfect Christmas: 1920s, 30s, 40s Festive Vintage Tunes (Past Perfect) #carols #holidaytunes
- 12 Vintage Christmas Songs from the 50’s – Full Song Playlist
- Christmas Oldies
- The Most Popular Christmas Songs Ever!!! Best Traditional Christmas Music Playlist 2020
Christmas Music from the 20s, 30s, and 40s for Your Playlist
(and the great thing? you can find them all on YouTube!)
- “HAIL! HAIL! DAY OF DAYS” BY THE EDISON MIXED QUARTET // 1913
- “SANTA CLAUS HIDES IN THE PHONOGRAPH” BY SANTA CLAUS HIMSELF (ERNEST HARE) // 1922
- “AT THE CHRISTMAS BALL” BY BESSIE SMITH // 1925
- “THE SANTA CLAUS CRAVE” BY ELZADIE ROBINSON // 1927
- “SANTA CLAUS, THAT’S ME” BY VERNON DALHART // 1928
- “CHRISTMAS IN JAIL—AIN’T THAT A PAIN?” BY LEROY CARR // 1929
- “I TOLD SANTA CLAUS TO BRING ME YOU” BY BERNIE CUMMINS AND HIS ORCHESTRA // 1930
- “THE SANTA CLAUS EXPRESS” BY HENRY HALL FEATURING DAN DONOVAN AND THE BBC ORCHESTRA // 1933
- “DOES SANTA CLAUS SLEEP WITH HIS WHISKERS OVER OR UNDER THE SHEET?” BY JACK JACKSON AND HIS ORCHESTRA // 1933
- “IN A MERRY MOOD” BY BARNABAS VON GECZY AND HIS ORCHESTRA // 1934
- “SWINGIN’ THEM JINGLE BELLS” BY FATS WALLER // 1936
- “WHAT WILL SANTA CLAUS SAY?” BY LOUIS PRIMA & HIS NEW ORLEANS GANG // 1936
- “THE FAIRY ON THE CHRISTMAS TREE” BY THREE SISTERS // 1936
- “I WANT YOU FOR CHRISTMAS” BY RUSS MORGAN // 1937
- “THE ONLY THING I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS” BY EDDIE CANTOR // 1939